Metra oversees all commuter rail operations in the 3,700-square-mile northeastern Illinois region, with responsibility for day-to-day operations, fare and service levels, capital improvements and planning.
This section contains fact sheets designed for quick reference on various aspects of Metra. Additional information on Metra’s operating statistics can be found in the menu on the left under the Operations and Ridership link.
- Positive Train Control (April 2019) Describes PTC technology and Metra's progress toward implementing this safety system.
- Milwaukee District West Fox River bridge replacement (Z-100) (April 2019)
- UP West Third Main project (April 2019)
- 75th Street Corridor Improvement Project for SouthWest Service (April 2019)
- Chicago Union Station (January 2016) Overview of the Chicago Union Station Master Plan and Union Station design study
- State of the System (August 2018) Metra's State of the System report provides a broad view of Metra's infrastructure, operating environment, and customer base. Following chapters on Metra's origins, physical assets and CBD market, the document explores the Metra system on a line-by-line basis.
- Metra System Map
- 2018 Metra Fact Book
- CREATE Program Brochure