The wait is over; summer fun unofficially begins this weekend! That also means the roads will be packed with families and visitors traveling to the Chicago area. Fortunately, there are a variety of activities all summer long just off Metra!
Kids Ride Free
To make Metra the best option for families to reach their favorite museums, festivals and events, we’re extending our Family Fares so up to three children age 11 years and younger will be able to ride free all summer long, from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Weekend Passes and 10-Ride Tickets
Metra offers a variety of ticket options to best suit your group and travel. Our 10-Ride Ticket is an excellent option for larger groups of people since they can be shared. Plus, you’ll be able to get ten rides for the price of nine!
Our Weekend Pass is perfect for travel on Saturdays and Sundays. Each pass allows for unlimited travel across all rail lines all weekend long. The best part is each ticket is just $8.
We always hope your experience on Metra is safe and enjoyable. To assist in that effort, we created our Ride Nice campaign to remind customers a few simple courtesies can make a big difference for your fellow commuters.
When riding Metra, we ask you to:
- Keep your feet and bags off the seats to keep them clean and allow fellow travelers to sit.
- Wait until your stop to stand in the aisles so others can board and exit.
- Avoid nail clipping, beard trimming and other personal grooming on the train.
- Keep your phone conversations and headphones at a low and respectful volume.
- Observe Quiet Car rules when traveling during the week, including holding phone calls until after your ride and only speaking to others when necessary and in hushed whispers. The rules are in effect on all weekday trains arriving in downtown terminals by 9 a.m. and departing downtown terminals between 3:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
Now you’re ready to ride! There are many destinations you can reach by Metra. If you’re looking for ideas here are a few:
North America’s oldest music festival is just off the Union Pacific North Line! More than 140 events will take place throughout the summer, bringing big names such as Yo-Yo Ma and John Legend to the Chicagoland area. Find more information on how to ride Metra to the festival here.
Free concerts will be held at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion every Monday and Thursday from June 12 through Aug. 21. The venue is a short walk from all downtown terminals.
Cubs and White Sox Games
Spend summer at the ballpark, but avoid the traffic and parking fees! Ride Metra and CTA to get to games all summer long. Learn more here.
Museum Free Days
Chicago’s famous museums offer free admission to Illinois residents on select days of the year, meaning the whole family can enjoy exploring art, science and history for an affordable price.
Free Days for 2017:
- Adler Planetarium: June 5-9
- Museum of Science and Industry: June 5-9, 12
- Shedd Aquarium: June 5-6, 12-13
- Field Museum: June 21-23
- Art Institute of Chicago: Free every Thursday, 5-8 p.m.
Spend the day at the racetrack! Special events take place all summer, including The Arlington Million on Aug. 12! Arlington International is just off the Union Pacific Northwest Line.