When was the last time you thanked your conductor, ticket agent or engineer?
This Friday and Saturday you have the perfect excuse. Metra is joining the RTA in celebrating Transit Employee Appreciation Day in honor of the hardworking men and women who help you get where you’re going. Metra has a vast network of employees who collect fares, maintain equipment and tracks, create and keep schedules, operate locomotives and much more.
Here’s a snapshot of some of the employees on Metra’s operations side who make your commute, trip to the city or suburban excursion possible.
- The Engineering Department is responsible for building and maintaining most of Metra’s buildings, stations, bridges, tracks and electrical, telecommunications and signal systems. The department is staffed by more than 700 employees.
- The Mechanical Department coordinates and oversees the repair, inspection, cleaning, rebuilding, replacing and maintenance of 1,180 pieces of rolling stock used in commuter service. The Mechanical Department is also responsible for overseeing Metra’s fleet of 463 trucks and automobiles. The department employs about 650 people.
- The Transportation Department is responsible for providing safe, efficient and dependable transportation to commuters on all Metra-operated lines: Milwaukee North and West, Rock Island, Metra Electric, SouthWest Service, North Central Service and Heritage Corridor, as well as those lines operating under purchase of service agreements: BNSF and Union Pacific. The department is staffed by nearly 900 employees.
Here are a few simple ways to show these employees your appreciation:
- Smile and wave when you’re waiting on the platform or boarding the train.
- Say “thank you” to the agent or conductor who sells or collects your ticket.
- Print out a thank you card and hand it to the employee.
We’d also love to hear your stories on social media! Use the hashtag #LoveTransit to spread your appreciation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.