Summary of Duties
Reporting directly to the Executive Director/CEO, with a dotted line report to the Deputy Executive Director, Administration, the Chief Safety Officer plans, directs and controls the activities and operations of the Metra System Safety Program Plan (SSPP). Responsible to develop and implement a strategic safety plan designed to foster a proactive organizational safety culture and promote a safe and healthy environment for all employees, passengers, contractors and the general public. Manages the Safety Department staff to ensure they have the resources, tools and cooperation of all organizational stakeholders to implement and coordinate programs designed to reduce or eliminate hazards that potentially lead to injuries, illness, and death. Coordinate with and support all Metra departments having a role and responsibility for the progressive application of the SSPP to ensure organizational safety goals and objectives are consistently achieved. Directs all programs involving workplace and passenger safety, accident prevention and investigations, fire life safety, hazard management, safety assessments, construction and environmental safety. Collaborates with labor unions and regulatory agencies in addressing safety concerns, improving program efficiencies, and ensuring regulatory compliance. Performs other related duties as needed to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. This position requires flexible availability including non-business hours, weekends, and holidays and is subject to call 24/7.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Physical Sciences, Public Administration, or related field OR in lieu of degree, progressively responsible relevant safety management experience. A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- In addition to #1, must have significant experience in management, administration, planning, and oversight of system safety activities in a major transportation agency.
- A World Safety Organization Certification and/or a certification as a safety professional (CSP) is preferred.
- Must have a demonstrated knowledge of transportation safety to include a wide-ranging knowledge of the principles of procedures and equipment including: vehicles, track, structures, facilities, electric traction power, signals, communication, operations and control systems.
- Must have a working knowledge and understanding of applicable Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulations.
- Must have extensive knowledge of operational safety and system safety engineering.
- Strong and effective oral and written communication skills are essential.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suites with emphasis on database maintenance and record-keeping applications.
- Supervisory experience is required.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
All employees are responsible for performing their job safely and in accordance with the safety objectives, goals and program of the organization, ensuring compliance with applicable safety rules and regulations.
Other Important Information
- Subject to a physical examination/drug test and background check to verify information regarding education, employment history, vehicle and criminal history.
- Only resumes with salary history will be considered.
- Only qualified candidates will receive consideration.
- Relocation is not available for this position.
To apply for this position at Metra, please send your cover letter, resume and salary history to:
Gregg A. Moser
5530 Wisconsin Ave., Suite 1202
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Metra is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.
Metra / 547 W. Jackson Blvd. / Chicago, IL 60661