Metra oversees all commuter rail operations in the 3,700 square mile northeastern Illinois region, with responsibility for day-to-day operations, fare and service levels, capital improvements and planning.
This section contains fact sheets designed for quick reference on various aspects of Metra. Additional information on Metra’s operating statistics can be found in the menu on the left under the Operations and Ridership link.
- About the Metra System (May 2015)
Overview of Metra system statistics and rider origins
- Passenger Operations (October 2014)
Ridership, employee, service, and route information
- Capital Program (May 2015)
Summary of Metra’s 2010-2019 investments in the replacement, reconstruction, and maintenance of rolling stock, track and structures, signal, electrical and communications systems, station facilities, and other assets
- Rider Profile (May 2015)
Demographic profile of Metra ridership
- Rolling Stock Inventory (March 2014)
Inventory of Metra's locomotive and passenger car fleet
- Operating Budget (August 2014)
Overview of Metra’s 2013 operating revenue and expenses, uses of funds, and diesel fuel costs over time
- Performance Measures (September 2014)
Metra efficiency and effectiveness measures, 2009-2013
- Performance Measures: Peer Comparison (May 2015)
Metra 2013 efficiency and effectiveness relative to six peer agencies, utilizing Office of Auditor General (OAG) 2007 Report methodology
- State of Good Repair (March 2015)
Summary of Metra’s capital investment needs and efforts towards achieving a state of good repair
- Rolling Stock Modernization Plan (May 2015)
Overview of Metra's Rolling Stock Modernization Plan, announced in 2014.
- Positive Train Control (May 2015)
Describes PTC technology and Metra's progress toward implementing this safety system.
- Fact Sheet (May 2015)